JOANNA SMITH’S CURRICULUM VITAE
University of California, Los Angeles:
- Master of Library & Information Science, 2017-Present
- Digital Humanities Graduate Certificate, 2018 – Present
University of California, Berkeley:
- Bachelor of Arts in Film Studies & Rhetoric, 2006–2010
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE:
Digital Archives Program Scholar, UCLA Library Special Collections, June 2018–Present:
- Process and make accessible digital files on optical discs within an archival collection. My tasks involve making copies of the discs’ files, observing the files through forensic imaging software, searching for confidential information to redact, creating description of the files’ contents to be used in the collection’s finding aid, transferring the files into publicly accessible platforms, and creating documentation about my processes.
College Academic Mentor, UCLA College Academic Counseling, September 2018–Present:
- Serve as an academic mentor to undergraduate students in the College of Letters and Science. My tasks involve advising students one-on-one about academic school policies, program planning, and career resources, as well as creating and teaching workshops about these topics.
Library Volunteer, El Camino College, April 2019–Present:
- Perform various library services, including taking an inventory of items in collection, assisting with library instruction and helping answer reference questions.
Archives Intern, NBCUniversal Archives & Collections, January 2019-March 2019:
- Assist with various archival tasks, including performing inventory checks for items in the collection and updating the database records accordingly, creating catalog records and condition reports for costumes and props, and displaying costumes for various exhibits.
Graduate Student Researcher, UCLA Information Studies Dept., October 2017–June 2018:
- Search archives and online databases for records supporting one UCLA professor’s research on TV History, create digital files of the records found and store them in an online database I created, develop reports of my findings, and suggest areas for further research.
Substitute Teacher / Librarian, Torrance Unified School District, October 2016–June 2018:
- Supervise students, provide thoughtful lesson plans, and implement discipline as needed. In the library setting, I also assist student and faculty patrons in use of the library and multimedia workstations, maintain the facility and its collection, and respond to inquiries.
Information Studies Lab Clerk, UCLA Information Studies Dept., July 2017–September 2017:
- Assist student and faculty patrons in use of the library and multimedia workstations, maintain the facility and its collection, and respond to inquiries.
Social Media Teacher, South Bay Adult School, September 2016–November 2016:
- Propose and develop class titled “Savvy Social Media and Internet Safety”, create curriculum for class, and teach interactive lessons about social media platforms for 8 students.
Film & TV Production Coordinator, DreamWorks Animation, 2011–2016:
- Coordinate and manage daily operations for team of 30+ employees, working closely with the Animated Film’s Leadership to implement schedules, take and deliver detailed meeting notes, track assets and the team’s work productivity in databases, and ensure smooth process working towards screenings for Studio Heads. Responsible for creating and maintaining online database referenced by 10+ teams, planning events ranging from team meetings to company-wide events, troubleshooting software issues, and training staff.
Film Department Manager, ASUC SUPERB Productions, 2007-2009:
- Produce bi-weekly film screenings at UC Berkeley. My tasks involve creating the film schedule, booking the venue and projectionist, renting film reels, marketing the events, and managing 7 interns.
- President of UCLA’s Student Chapter of Special Libraries Association (2017-Present)
- Co-Chair of UCLA Information Studies Department Student Governing Board (2017-Present)
- 2018 Beta Phi Mu Sarah Rebecca Reed Scholarship Recipient
- 2018 P.E.O. Program for Continuing Education (PCE) Grant Recipient
- 2018 Southern California Chapter’s Special Libraries Association Karen Gersten-Sternheim Memorial Scholarship Recipient
- Google Suite; Microsoft Suite; Archivematica; ArchivesSpace; IDEA ALM; CONTENTdm; Protégé; BitCurator; Guymager; KryoFlux; Forensic Toolkit (FTK); Voyant; Open Refine; WordPress; HTML; GitHub; Zotero; Adobe Photoshop; Adobe Acrobat Pro; Final Draft; Final Cut Pro; iMovie; Facebook; Twitter; LinkedIn; Zoom.
A pdf version of this CV is available here: Joanna Smith’s CV.