Downloadable PDF of Abbreviated Resume Available Here or Extended CV Below
Joanna Lynne Smith
UCLA Extension (Online Part-Time Program):
- Certificate in Data Science, 2019-Present
University of California, Los Angeles:
- Master of Library & Information Science, 2017-2019
University of California, Berkeley:
- Bachelor of Arts in Film Studies & Rhetoric, 2006–2010
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE:
Adult Services Reference Librarian (Temporary Appointment), City of Torrance, October 2019–Present:
- Provide reference and readers’ advisory service to patrons of all ages via in-person and phone interactions at Torrance Public Library, perform bibliographic searches using both print and digital sources, assist patrons with use of computers and printers, proctor exams, select items for purchase for the Playaway and Great Courses collections, plan film program, write historical article for City of Torrance’s Infobits website.
Digital Archives Program Scholar, UCLA Library Special Collections, June 2018–September 2019:
- Process and make accessible digital files on optical discs within an archival collection. My tasks involve making copies of the discs’ files, observing the files through forensic imaging software, searching for confidential information to redact, creating description of the files’ contents to be used in the collection’s finding aid, transferring the files into publicly accessible platforms, and creating documentation about my processes.
College Academic Mentor, UCLA College Academic Counseling, September 2018–September 2019:
- Serve as an academic mentor to undergraduate students in the College of Letters and Science. My tasks involve advising students one-on-one about academic school policies, program planning, and career resources, as well as creating and teaching workshops about these topics.
Library Intern, El Camino College, April 2019–August 2019:
- Perform various library services, including taking an inventory of items in collection, assisting with library instruction and helping answer reference questions.
Archives Intern, NBCUniversal Archives & Collections, January 2019-March 2019:
- Assist with various archival tasks, including performing inventory checks for items in the collection and updating the database records accordingly, creating catalog records and condition reports for costumes and props, and displaying costumes for various exhibits.
Graduate Student Researcher, UCLA Information Studies Dept., October 2017–June 2018:
- Search archives and online databases for records supporting one UCLA professor’s research on TV History, create digital files of the records found and store them in an online database I created, develop reports of my findings, and suggest areas for further research.
Substitute Teacher / Librarian, Torrance Unified School District, October 2016–June 2018:
- Supervise students, provide thoughtful lesson plans, and implement discipline as needed. In the library setting, I also assist student and faculty patrons in use of the library and multimedia workstations, maintain the facility and its collection, and respond to inquiries.
Information Studies Lab Clerk, UCLA Information Studies Dept., July 2017–September 2017:
- Assist student and faculty patrons in use of the library and multimedia workstations, maintain the facility and its collection, and respond to inquiries.
Social Media Teacher, South Bay Adult School, September 2016–November 2016:
- Propose and develop class titled “Savvy Social Media and Internet Safety”, create curriculum for class, and teach interactive lessons about social media platforms for 8 students.
Film & TV Production Coordinator, DreamWorks Animation, 2011–2016:
- Coordinate and manage daily operations for team of 30+ employees, working closely with the Animated Film’s Leadership to implement schedules, take and deliver detailed meeting notes, track assets and the team’s work productivity in databases, and ensure smooth process working towards screenings for Studio Heads. Responsible for creating and maintaining online database referenced by 10+ teams, planning events ranging from team meetings to company-wide events, troubleshooting software issues, and training staff.
Film Department Manager, ASUC SUPERB Productions, 2007-2009:
- Produce bi-weekly film screenings at UC Berkeley. My tasks involve creating the film schedule, booking the venue and projectionist, renting film reels, marketing the events, and managing 7 interns.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES & LEADERSHIP:
Planning Committee, Colorado Association of Libraries Conference (CALCON), May 2019-Present:
- Organize the CLEF Silent Auction, assist with general planning and setup of conference.
Chair, UCLA Information Studies Student Governing Board, October 2017-June 2019:
- Managed 10+ members of student governing board, facilitated department town hall meetings, oversaw budget for student groups, organized student events, served as representative for alumni meetings.
President, UCLA Chapter of Special Libraries Association (SLA), October 2017-June 2019:
- Managed the student chapter board, scheduled and facilitated meetings, planned networking events with local professional SLA chapter, organized tours of special libraries.
Student Representative, UCLA Library and Information Science Alumni Association (LISAA) Board, July 2018 – June 2019:
- Served as the student representative in alumni board meetings, provided input on potential alumni events that might benefit the students, advertised LISAA events to students.
Student Representative, Graduate School of Education and Information Studies Executive Faculty Meeting Committee, October 2017-June 2018:
- Attended meetings in which the deans, chairs, and faculty members from both the UCLA Information Studies and Education departments shared updates within the departments, provided student input when asked, reported information back to the Information Studies Student Governing Board.
- 2019 Colorado Association of Libraries (CAL) Conference (CALCON) Travel Scholarship Recipient
- 2018 Beta Phi Mu Sarah Rebecca Reed Scholarship Recipient
- 2018 P.E.O. Program for Continuing Education (PCE) Grant Recipient
- 2018 Southern California Chapter’s Special Libraries Association Karen Gersten-Sternheim Memorial Scholarship Recipient
Office Skills & Software:
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel)
- G Suite (Google Docs, Spreadsheets, Sites, Calendar, Hangouts)
- Atlassian Jira and Confluence
- Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat
- Zoom and Skype
- Box.com and Dropbox.com
- Much experience with printers, copiers, scanners, and fax machines
Library / Web Skills & Software:
- SirsiDynix Workflows
- Ex Libris Alma and Primo
- Sierra LSP
- Idea ALM
- Oxygen XML Editor
- Library of Congress classification system
- Final Draft Pro
- Final Cut Pro
- Social Media Platforms: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram; Snapchat; LinkedIn
Archival Skills & Software:
- Forensic Toolkit
RELEVANT COURSEWORK & WORKSHOPS:
- Digital Methods for Research and Scholarship; Reference Services; Cataloging; Data Science; Description and Access; Metadata; Privacy in IT; Content Management Systems (2017-2019)
Carpentries Instructor Training Workshop:
- Teaching with Live Coding (September 2019)
Library Carpentry Workshop:
- OpenRefine and GitHub (May 2018)