*Downloadable Resume Here: Joanna Smith’s Resume
*Extended CV Below:
Joanna Lynne Smith
- Data Analytics Online Certificate Course, Expected Completion Date: June 2020
- Python Programming Online Certificate Course, Expected Completion Date: May 2020
- Design 101 Online Course: Expected Completion Date: May 2020
University of California, Los Angeles:
- Master of Library & Information Science, 2017-2019
University of California, Berkeley:
- Bachelor of Arts in Film Studies & Rhetoric, 2006–2010
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE:
Information Literacy Instructor (Temporary), Colorado State University, February 2020-April 2020
- Taught 7.5 hours of information literacy courses supporting the university’s undergraduate college composition program, created instructional video about library resources for remote learning initiatives, researched how other universities’ libraries’ websites provide information to their patrons about journal subscriptions and cancellations, and then crafted report to provide the CSU Libraries team with suggestions on how to provide similar information on journal subscriptions to the CSU community.
Adult Services Reference Librarian (Temporary Appointment), City of Torrance, October 2019–February 2020 :
- Provided reference and readers’ advisory services to customers of all ages via in-person and phone interactions at Torrance Public Library, performed bibliographic searches utilizing the Internet and electronic databases, purchased items for the Playaway and Great Courses collections, redesigned spreadsheet to track library programs, performed data entry about reference interactions, planned and helped facilitate library programs.
Digital Archives Program Scholar, UCLA Library Special Collections, June 2018–September 2019:
- Processed 350+ born-digital materials, including DVD’s, CD’s , and floppy disks, containing various documents, records, emails, and more. Responsibilities included developing file systems for materials, creating technical documentation about my process, generating README log-pages providing information about processing the materials, making digital copies of materials for preservation purposes, observing materials’ content using forensic imaging software, searching for confidential information to redact, creating description for finding aid, transferring files into publicly accessible platforms, troubleshooting software, training staff.
College Academic Mentor, UCLA College Academic Counseling, September 2018–September 2019:
- Served as an academic mentor to undergraduate students in the College of Letters and Science. My tasks involved advising students one-on-one about academic school policies, program planning, and career resources, as well as creating and teaching workshops about these topics.
Library Intern, El Camino College, April 2019–August 2019:
- Performed various library services, including taking an inventory of items in collection, assisting with library instruction and helping answer reference questions.
Archives Intern, NBCUniversal Archives & Collections, January 2019-March 2019:
- Assisted with various archival tasks, including performing inventory checks for items in the collection and updating the database records accordingly, creating catalog records and condition reports for costumes and props, and displaying costumes for various exhibits.
Graduate Student Researcher, UCLA Information Studies Dept., October 2017–June 2018:
- Searched archives and electronic databases for records related to UCLA professor’s research on TV history, digitized archival records as needed, created and maintained a database to catalog records, developed and maintained annotated index of records, wrote reports of my findings to demonstrate how these records related to each other and what the findings might suggest for the professor’s research.
Substitute Teacher / Librarian, Torrance Unified School District, October 2016–June 2018:
- Supervised students, provided thoughtful lesson plans, and implemented discipline as needed. In the library setting, I also assisted student and faculty patrons in use of the library and multimedia workstations, maintained the facility and its collection, and responded to inquiries.
Information Studies Lab Clerk, UCLA Information Studies Dept., July 2017–September 2017:
- Assisted student and faculty patrons in use of the library and multimedia workstations, maintained the facility and its collection, and responded to inquiries.
Social Media Teacher, South Bay Adult School, September 2016–November 2016:
- Proposed and developed class titled “Savvy Social Media and Internet Safety”, create curriculum for class, and taught interactive lessons about social media platforms for 8 students.
Film & TV Production Coordinator, DreamWorks Animation, 2011–2016:
- Coordinated and managed daily operations for a team of 30+ employees, working closely with leadership to implement production schedules, track ongoing projects to completion in databases, follow up on outstanding issues, ensure smooth process working towards film screenings for studio heads.
- Prepared recurring reports with output to President and executive leadership, distributed updates and progress reports to appropriate parties at central and remote locations, developed online database of production assets referenced by 10+ teams on daily basis, collected data to measure the success of our digital marketing campaign and created weekly reports of my findings with output to leadership.
- Troubleshot software issues, contacted software vendors to resolve problems and improve programs.
- Planned events ranging from team meetings to company-wide events, created presentation slides and posters for pitch meetings, developed training curriculum and taught new staff.
Film Department Manager, ASUC SUPERB Productions, 2007-2009:
- Produced bi-weekly film screenings at UC Berkeley. My tasks involved creating the film schedule, booking the venue and projectionist, renting film reels, marketing the events, and managing 7 interns.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES & LEADERSHIP:
Planning Committee, Colorado Association of Libraries Conference (CALCON), May 2019-Present:
- Organize the CLEF Silent Auction, assist with general planning and setup of conference.
Chair, UCLA Information Studies Student Governing Board, October 2017-June 2019:
- Managed 10+ members of student governing board, facilitated department town hall meetings, oversaw budget for student groups, organized student events, served as representative for alumni meetings.
President, UCLA Chapter of Special Libraries Association (SLA), October 2017-June 2019:
- Managed the student chapter board, scheduled and facilitated meetings, planned networking events with local professional SLA chapter, organized tours of special libraries.
Student Representative, UCLA Library and Information Science Alumni Association (LISAA) Board, July 2018 – June 2019:
- Served as the student representative in alumni board meetings, provided input on potential alumni events that might benefit the students, advertised LISAA events to students.
Student Representative, Graduate School of Education and Information Studies Executive Faculty Meeting Committee, October 2017-June 2018:
- Attended meetings in which the deans, chairs, and faculty members from both the UCLA Information Studies and Education departments shared updates within the departments, provided student input when asked, reported information back to the Information Studies Student Governing Board.
- 2019 Colorado Association of Libraries (CAL) Conference (CALCON) Travel Scholarship Recipient
- 2018 Beta Phi Mu Sarah Rebecca Reed Scholarship Recipient
- 2018 P.E.O. Program for Continuing Education (PCE) Grant Recipient
- 2018 Southern California Chapter’s Special Libraries Association Karen Gersten-Sternheim Memorial Scholarship Recipient
Office Skills & Software:
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel)
- G Suite (Google Docs, Spreadsheets, Sites, Calendar, Hangouts)
- Atlassian Jira and Confluence
- Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat
- Teleconference Software: Zoom, Skype, BlueJeans
- Box.com and Dropbox.com
- Much experience with printers, copiers, scanners, and fax machines
Data, Library, & Web Skills & Software:
- SirsiDynix Workflows
- Ex Libris Alma and Primo
- Sierra LSP
- Idea ALM
- Oxygen XML Editor
- Library of Congress classification system
- Final Draft Pro
- Final Cut Pro
- YouTube Studio
- Social Media Platforms: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram; Snapchat; LinkedIn
Archival Skills & Software:
- Forensic Toolkit
RELEVANT COURSEWORK & WORKSHOPS:
- Data Analytics; Python Programming (April 2020 – Present)
- Digital Methods for Research and Scholarship; Reference Services; Cataloging; Data Science; Description and Access; Metadata; Privacy in IT; Content Management Systems (2017-2019)
Carpentries Instructor Training Workshop:
- Teaching with Live Coding (September 2019)
Library Carpentry Workshop:
- OpenRefine and GitHub (May 2018)